This page records everything I’ve studied, learned or practiced since I left formal education in 2009.
If you want to chat about my experiences, or if there’s a book or course you’d love to recommend, get in touch.
- Refreshed my advanced SQL skills with specific focus on PostgreSQL.
- Taught myself basic and intermediate-level TypeScript.
- Used Dart, Svelte, Sapper, and Tailwind CSS to build the MVP and first production versions of my new SaaS product for YouTube content owners, Observant.
- Read Programming TypeScript by Boris Cherny.
- Studied Tech Writing 101, an internal course at Google.
- Taught myself basic Dart, a strongly-typed client-optimized language for fast apps on any platform.
- Taught myself basic Flutter, a Dart-based cross-platform UI framework.
- Used Dart and Flutter to rebuild Spell Tracker as a native mobile app for Android and iOS. Launched on both stores.
- Read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.
- Studied Machine Learning at Stanford University (via Coursera). Learned about supervised learning (parametric/non-parametric algorithms, support vector machines, kernels, neural networks); unsupervised learning (clustering, dimensionality reduction, recommender systems, deep learning); and best practices in machine learning (bias/variance theory; innovation process in machine learning and AI).
- Studied the Machine Learning Crash Course, an internal course at Google.
- Studied [Stuart Diamond’s Getting More Negotiation Framework] via an in-person workshop at Google.
- Taught myself basic Go.
- Taught myself basic Typescript.
- Taught myself basic Angular.
- Taught myself basic WebGL.
- Used Angular.JS and Ionic to build the first version of Spell Tracker as a passion project.
- Used Angular.JS to build Tegmark, a webapp to render planets using d3.js.
- Used Go, Typescript, and Angular to build a prototype of Starlines, a realtime browser game with a backend and web socket compatible REST API.
- Tried and failed to learn basic Rust.
- Read Getting More by Stuart Diamond.
- Studied Programming Languages at University of Washington (via Coursera). Learned functional programming, recursion and other CompSci topics via ML, Racket, and Ruby.
- Studied Startup Engineering at CS184 from Stanford University (via Coursera). Became familiar with topics including from DCVS, HTML/CSS/JS, wire-framing, market research, Node.JS, Postgres and basic devops.
- Used Ruby to rewrite Sundial and deploy it on Heroku.
- Used Ruby to write Grokily, a REST API to conjugate Norwegian verbs.
- Used Ruby, HTML and CSS to migrate my personal site to Octopress.
- Read The Lean Startup by Eric Ries.
- Used PHP to build the first version of Fistbump.
- Taught myself basic Java.
- Used Java to build the first version of Sundial and deploy it on Google AppEngine.
- Taught myself basic Django, a Python web-app framework.
- Continued to teach myself the latest HTML and CSS techniques.
- Used PHP, HTML and CSS to rebuild my personal site.
- Used PHP, HTML and CSS to rebuild BritishBonus (now defunct).